One of the most popular sports for the royal families of the Indian princely states was horse racing. Many millennials would be surprised to know that the first racecourse was set up in Chennai (previously Madras) in 1777. This sport has survived for over 220 years, and unsurprisingly, it is one of the few betting sports that is legalized by many state governments. The bookkeeping or betting is as old as the sport itself.
Let us look at some famous horse races of the country, different types of bets and terms used in the sports, and things to keep in mind while betting
Famous Horse Races in the Country
The most famous horse races in India are the good old classics like The Indian Derby, The Indian 1000, and the Bangalore Derby.
India has five all-time classic races.
- The Indian 1000 and 2000 that run in December.
- The Indian Oaks that run at the end of January.
- The Indian Derby that run in February.
- The Indian St. Leger in September.
Additionally, there are multiple races conducted by the clubs. Let’s look at some of the active horse racing clubs of India:
- Bangalore Turf Club,
- Hyderabad Turf Club,
- Royal Calcutta Turf Club,
- Royal Western India Turf Club,
- Mysore Race Club,
- Madras Race Club
- Delhi Turf Club.
Each of them conducts turf in their respective cities and have at least two seasons. Royal Western India Turf Club holds races in Mumbai and Pune- and Madras Race Club has races in Chennai and Ooty.
Types of Bets in Horse Racing
Horse race betting is as popular as horse racing itself. From the good old bookkeeping to online bets- the forms may have changed, but the love for the game hasn’t. Let us look at the different betting options available on this sport:
- Win: This is the straightforward bet- bettors place bets on the horse they believe will win the race.
- Place: Bettors place bets on the horse they believe will have the first three positions in a race.
- Mini jackpot: Bettors place bets on a horse they believe will win four consecutive races.
- Jackpot: Bettors place bets on a horse they believe will win six consecutive races.
- Forecast: Bettors choose a pair of horses and predict the win position for each horse – the nominated horses should finish 1st and 2nd in the right order.
Now that we have covered the basic bets placed- let us understand the terminology used in betting today.
Getting familiar with the betting terms used in the country
Horse racing has some unusual betting terms in place. It is necessary to become familiar with the terminology before you start your betting journey:
- Quinella: Nominated horses should finish 1st and 2nd in either order.
- Trinilla Tanala: Nominated horses should finish 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the respective order.
- Exacta: Nominated horses should finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the respective order.
- Treble: Nominated horses should win three consecutive races.
Every bet pays out differently depending upon the odds involved and the difficulty of the bet placed.
Where can you bet online? What to look out for?
There are many betting platforms that allow you to place bets on horse racing. Some tips to remember before picking up a website are:
- Make sure they have the certification for sports betting. The site should be secure.
- Only play with reputed websites, go to public forums, and do your research before you place bets.
- Always look for welcome bonuses- this way you check out their customer service and also get a hang on how to bet through the website.
Marathonbet. Bet on Horse Racing
If you decide to bet on horse racing- always remember to do your research right. Look at the track record of the horse, the jockey and the owner.